Skip to main content

Fresh Start Devotionals

A Costly Gift 2 Samuel 24:24 (NASB) “However, the king said to Araunah, ‘No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price, for I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God which cost me nothing.’ So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.” Over a decade, God called one of my best friends to go to the Mission Field. I was mad at God for calling him and mad at him for listening. He was pastor of a large, influential church about 100 miles away from where I served. He was my pastor. When I had a problem, I turned to him for counsel. If I was discouraged, I’d call him and when things were going well we celebrated together. Then God ripped him out of my life. One afternoon, before their appointment, he asked me to talk to his wife. The Mission Board was hesitant in appointing them to their assignment because his wife, though she was willing to go, had some doubts. As we began to talk, I heard God’s voice. I was tempted to encourage her doubts so I could keep my friend, but I clearly heard God say to me, “Don’t interfere with what I’m doing!” Obedient to the Lord, I fanned the embers of her faith and watched a passion to follow God’s will begin to blaze in her heart. I’ve lost my friend. He is an undercover missionary and cannot have substantial contact with religious leaders in the states. I grieve the loss, but now I feel I’ve really given something to missions. I’ve given something that has cost me something. As the Christmas Season approaches, I want to ask you, what will you give to missions this year. Can our missionaries count on your prayers? Can they count on your gifts? Can they count on you? If God calls you, will you go? Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.