Skip to main content

Kindness

In ancient times, philosophers were in the marketplace exchanging ideas. But where do philosophers ply their trades today? The only place I can think of is Country Music. It is, perhaps, one of the last bastions of pop philosophy in our day.

I recently ran across a list of quirky titles that left me thinking about what our modern-day philosophers were saying. What collective message does this list of Country Song titles give you?

          •      How Can I Miss You if You Won’t Go Away?”
          •      If the Phone Doesn’t Ring. It’s Me”
          •      My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend. (I Sure Miss Him)”
          •      I Keep Forgettin’ I Forgot About You”
          •      Thank God and Greyhound (She’s Gone)”
          •      I Got You on My Conscience, But at Least You’re Off My Back.”

After I stop laughing at the list of song titles, I’m left scratching my chin. These songs appear to take marital discord for granted. The message is simple; life without “you” is a better life for “me.” Though the scripture does say, “A constant dripping on a day of steady rain and a contentious woman are alike;” (Proverbs 27:15 NASB) it also paints a picture of the home as an ideal place where a husband and wife nurtures one another and their children into wholeness and peace.

The starting place for building a home that a Country Singer would never croon over could be as simple as saying a kind word or doing a considerate act.

Proverbs 15:1 NIV “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”


Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.