Skip to main content

May 12


McVeigh

Last Monday, Timothy McVeigh was executed. He died with his defiant eyes wide open, staring at a video camera that televised his death to the family members of his victims. His demeanor, like his life, was chilling.

In his final statement, he cited a line from “Invictius,” a poem written by William Henley, a 19th century British poet. “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.” McVeigh’s poetic selection illustrates the septic evil that emitted from the pores of his soul. McVeigh was his own master, his own captain. He was unable to submit to authority.

In protest against the government, he killed innocent children and with a calloused heart, called them “collateral damage.” Please, will someone explain to me what children sleeping in a day care in a building in Oklahoma City ever did to him? His actions are beyond my ability to grasp. They were inexcusable.

Too bad he had to be the master of his own fate and the captain of his own soul. From what I can tell, he wasn’t qualified to captain his soul. Certainly, he sank that vessel years ago.

Instead, what would have happened if he had a humble spirit instead of a defiant one? What would have happened if he would have submitted to Jesus, and asked Him to captain his soul? What if he would have asked Jesus to be his master?

The same thing would have happened to him that can happen to anyone. God would have become his Father, and he would be alive today. And so would his victims.

Psalm 25, “To thee O Lord, I lift up my soul … Make me know Your ways, O Lord. teach me Your paths, Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation. For you I wait all the day.”


Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.