Skip to main content
August 21





Starting Line


I always wanted to argue with my coach when he made the lineman run laps around the track during off season. I mean, the farthest I ever ran was two feet to hit the lineman in front of me. I knew better than to argue, but that didn’t keep me from muttering. What really made the runs tough, is coach strapped a rope on our shoulders and made us drag a tire behind us while we ran. “Just one lap,” he’d say, “you can do it Wilson,” then he’d blow that blasted whistle of his and we’d start.

I was no speed demon. Believe me, if the team was counting on me to chase someone down and tackle him, they’re were in trouble. I never could run fast, just long and hard in the same spot. I don’t think coach was trying to make me into a track star, I’m sure the exercise was designed to build our strength and endurance, and I suppose it did. By mid season, when other players got injured, I’d have to play offense, defense and special teams. Some games I never stepped off the field.

As I was running around the track, I longed for the finish line-that’s what kept me going. The run was usually the last event of the workout so I knew that when I was done I could sit in the locker room, listen to music and drink a sports drink.

The finish line is important, as are strength exercises, but neither of them have any significance to someone who is unwilling to go to the starting line. Too many people prefer to line up on the fence line and watch others run without getting on the track themselves. I’m not talking about football practice anymore, I’m talking about life. Finishing takes endurance. Starting takes guts. Are you in the game?


Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.