Skip to main content

Sunday School Lesson, Outline



August 10
Lesson 11

FORGIVENESS AND RESTORATION

DEVOTIONAL READING: Luke 17:1–6
BACKGROUND SCRIPTURE: 2 Corinthians 1:23–2:17

2 CORINTHIANS 1:23, 24

23 Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I came not as yet unto Corinth.
24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

2 CORINTHIANS 2:1–11

1 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.
2 For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?
3 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Photo: iStockphoto/Thinkstock

KEY VERSE
To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ.—2 Corinthians 2:10
  THE PEOPLE OF GOD SET PRIORITIES

Unit 3: Bearing One Another’s Burdens
LESSONS 10–14

LESSON AIMS

After participating in this lesson, each student will be able to:
1. Tell what the issue in Corinth was that caused Paul to write a letter instead of conducting a personal visit.
2. Explain how the gospel demands redemptive responses toward people in either sin or repentance.
3. Develop a plan of reconciliation that can be followed to restore a wayward believer to fellowship with the church. Discuss the plan with church leadership.

LESSON OUTLINE

Introduction
      A.      “Don’t Judge Me!”
      B.      Lesson Background
          I.      Changed Plans (2 CORINTHIANS 1:23–2:4)
      A.      To Spare Them Pain (v. 23)
      B.      To Give Them Joy (v. 24)
      C.      To Avoid a Repeat (2:1–3)
      D.      To Show Abundant Love (v. 4)
      Tough Love
          II.      Changed Hearts (2 CORINTHIANS 2:5–11)
      A.      Punishment Succeeds (vv. 5, 6)
      B.      Love Comforts (vv. 7, 8)
      C.      Testing Ends (vv. 9, 10)
      D.      Danger Remains (v. 11)
Conclusion
      A.      Judgment Replaced with Joy
      B.      Prayer
      C.      Thought to Remember

 HOW TO SAY IT

Corinth
Ko-rin-thee-unz (th as in thin).
Corinthians
Kor-inth.
Ezekiel
Ee-zeek-ee-ul or Ee-zeek-yul.
Philippians
Fih-lip-ee-unz
Thessalonians
Thess-uh-lo-nee-unz (th as in thin).


Weatherly, Jon, Charles R. Boatman, et al. “Forgiveness and Restoration.” The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary, 2013–2014. Ed. Ronald L. Nickelson & Jonathan Underwood. Vol. 61. Cincinnati, OH: Standard Publishing, 2013. 423. Print.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.