Skip to main content

Sunday School Lesson, Outline





October 5
Lesson 5

YET I WILL REJOICE


DEVOTIONAL READING: Psalm 56:8–13BACKGROUND SCRIPTURE: Job 1; Psalm 56; Habakkuk 1–3



HABAKKUK 2:1–5.

1 I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.
2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
5 Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people.


HABAKKUK 3:17–19

17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.


Graphic: Hemera/Thinkstock

KEY VERSE
   I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
—Habakkuk 3:18




SUSTAINING HOPE

Unit 2: Dark Nights of the Soul
LESSONS 5–8


LESSON AIMS

After participating in this lesson, each learner will be able to:
1. Describe the dialogue between Habakkuk and God.
2. Paraphrase Habakkuk 3:17, 18 using non agricultural terms.
3. Identify some seemingly negative condition in his or her life and make a statement of commitment of “yet I will rejoice in the Lord” in spite of that condition.


LESSON OUTLINE

Introduction
      A.      Silent Nights
      B.      Lesson Background
          I.      Overview (HABAKKUK 2:1–3)
      A.      Prophet’s Expectations (v. 1)
      Of Watchtowers and Warnings
      B.      God’s Response (vv. 2, 3)
          II.      The Two Paths (HABAKKUK 2:4, 5)
      A.      Pride, Part 1 (v. 4a)
      B.      Faith (v. 4b)
      C.      Pride, Part 2 (v. 5)
          III.      The Way of Faith (HABAKKUK 3:17–19)
      A.      Times of Scarcity (v. 17)
      B.      Times of Rejoicing (vv. 18, 19)
      Rejoicing in Bad Times
Conclusion
      A.      Pride or Faith?
      B.      Prayer
      C.      Thought to Remember


HOW TO SAY IT

Assyrians
Uh-sear-ee-unz.
Babylonians
Bab-ih-low-nee-unz.
Gethsemane
Geth-sem-uh-nee (G as in get).
Habakkuk
Huh-back-kuk.
Plutarch
Plu-tark.



Nugent, John et al. “Yet I Will Rejoice.” The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary, 2014–2015. Ed. Ronald L. Nickelson & Jonathan Underwood. Vol. 62. Cincinnati, OH: Standard Publishing, 2014. 43. Print.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.