Skip to main content

"Save Me, O God"

"Save Me, O God"

‎Psalm sixty-nine turns to tell again of the earthly sorrows of the righteous. Of all the psalms of personal suffering, it is perhaps the most widely known. It opens with a picture of the human soul alone amid the flood waters of sorrow. “Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul.
‎“I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me."
“I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.”
‎The sufferer confesses to both folly and sin, “O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee,” yet clings earnestly to hope in the infinite mercy of God, “Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.” Again and again comes that picture of the rising flood. “Let not the water-flood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.” Then the form of the Deliverer is seen approaching, and confidence returns. “Hear me, O Lord; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.