Skip to main content

The Episcopal Church, Book of Common Prayer (1979) Sunday Lectionary

SUNDAY, JULY 17, 2011 | AFTER PENTECOST PROPER 11 YEAR A Psalm Psalm 86 or Psalm 86:11–17 First Reading Wisdom of Solomon 12:13, 16–19 Second Reading Romans 8:18–25 Gospel Matthew 13:24–30, 36–43 Index of Readings PSALM Option A Psalm 86  A Prayer of David. 1 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: For I am poor and needy. 2  Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. 3  Be merciful unto me, O Lord: For I cry unto thee daily. 4  Rejoice the soul of thy servant: For unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. 5  For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; And plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. 6  Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; And attend to the voice of my supplications. 7  In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: For thou wilt answer me. 8  Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; Neither are there any works like unto thy works. 9  All nations whom thou hast made shall come And worship before thee, O Lord; And shall glorify thy name. 10  For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: Thou art God alone. 11  Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: Unite my heart to fear thy name. 12  I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: And I will glorify thy name for evermore. 13  For great is thy mercy toward me: And thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. 14  O God, the proud are risen against me, And the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; And have not set thee before them. 15  But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. 16  O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; Give thy strength unto thy servant, And save the son of thine handmaid. 17  Shew me a token for good; That they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: Because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me. OR Option B Psalm 86:11–17 11  Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: Unite my heart to fear thy name. 12  I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: And I will glorify thy name for evermore. 13  For great is thy mercy toward me: And thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. 14  O God, the proud are risen against me, And the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; And have not set thee before them. 15  But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. 16  O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; Give thy strength unto thy servant, And save the son of thine handmaid. 17  Shew me a token for good; That they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: Because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me. FIRST READING Wisdom of Solomon 12:13, 16–19 13 For neither is there any God but thou that careth for all, to whom thou mightest shew that thy judgment is not unright. 16 For thy power is the beginning of righteousness, and because thou art the Lord of all, it maketh thee to be gracious unto all. 17 For when men will not believe that thou art of a full power, thou shewest thy strength, and among them that know it thou makest their boldness manifest. 18 But thou, mastering thy power, judgest with equity, and orderest us with great favour: for thou mayest use power when thou wilt. 19 But by such works hast thou taught thy people that the just man should be merciful, and hast made thy children to be of a good hope that thou givest repentance for sins. SECOND READING Romans 8:18–25 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. GOSPEL Matthew 13:24–30, 36–43 24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. 36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. 37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; 38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; 39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. 40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. 41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all ||things that offend, and them which do iniquity; 42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. The Episcopal Church, Book of Common Prayer (1979) Sunday Lectionary (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2010).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.