Skip to main content

Fresh Start Devotionals

Childlike Faith For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16 Growing up in a preacher’s home had some advantages and disadvantages. Like most PK’s (Preacher’s Kid), I wanted to be a “regular guy,” with my own identity. I hated the fact that the adults in the church thought they could tell me how to act or behave just because my Dad was the preacher. But, being a PK had its advantages too. Many Sundays, someone from the church would have us over for a Southern fried chicken dinner or homemade ice cream. When I reached “working age,” some of Dad’s members would hire me to mow their lawn or chop their weeds. As I look back on it now, the greatest advantage was getting to know some great men of God. Traveling evangelists, denominational workers and other pastors all seemed to find their way to our home to put their feet underneath my Momma’s table. The exposure wasn’t limited to our home. Because I was a PK, I went with Dad to conferences and conventions. One event stands out in my mind. We drove to Cotton Center, Texas, to attend a witness training. Though only eight years old at the time, I listened as the seminar leader taught that witnessing was the responsibility of every Christian and then showed us how to share our faith. I was too young then to know that some Christians are willing to teach about evangelism and others are willing to study about evangelism, but the church REALLY doesn’t expect Christians to witness. I took the training seriously and began to share my faith on the playground, at church and in our neighborhood. I discovered it worked; children came to Christ. Not because I was a skilled witness, but because the gospel is powerful. I can’t remember the names of those children, but God can, and He will spend eternity with them. Oh, there is one name I remember. Lori! A few years ago, I stood at her grave side and prayed. “Lord, thank you for the power of the gospel that saved my little sister when we were just children. Take good care of her, Amen.” In that moment, I was grateful for childlike faith. The faith I had to share, and the faith she had to believe. Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.