Skip to main content

Fresh Start Devotionals

Cooking I never thought of myself as a good cook. Oh, I can heat up a TV Dinner with the best of them, and I can flip a burger on the grill, but I’m not much of a cook. One of my problems is I can’t follow a recipe. When Susan cooks, she carefully measures out a cup of this and a teaspoon of that; cooking to her is an exact science. Not me. I mean what difference does it really make if I use a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon? And if a cup of walnuts is good, wouldn’t a cup and a half be better? The recipe thing is the least of my problems. When I go through the cabinets to find an ingredient, I’ll spot the jar of ground up green chile and think, “Hey, that would go good with this dish, wouldn’t it?” That one discovery begins a domino effect in my mind. “I wonder if Vanilla Extract would work with the pot roast? Hmm, what’s Cumin? How would it taste? Cinnamon? Cinnamon goes with everything, right? Don’t we still have some watermelon in the fridge?” You see my point, don’t you? I’m looking for a chapter of Ingredients Anonymous, because I know I’ve got to stop myself, but I can’t. You’d think that after several spoiled meals I’d learn, but I haven’t. Some things just don’t go with other things. And that’s OK. We can’t sit around a campfire, hold hands and sing Kum Ba Ya with every religion in the world. Our goal is not to get all world religions to agree with one another, it is to follow our beliefs and proclaim our Savior to the world. If that doesn’t jell with political correctness, so be it, some things just can’t be combined. You know, like cinnamon covered watermelon with just a dash of green chile powder. Even I have to admit, that was a mistake. Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.