Skip to main content

Fresh Start Devotionals

Enemies I liked Church fellowships when I was a boy. After the meal, the kids always ran outside to play in the backyard of the church. It adjoined cotton fields to the south and east. We waited until it was pitch dark, then we started playing “hide and go seek.” The cotton fields were “out of bounds,” but there were plenty of bushes and alcoves to hide in. You remember the game, don’t you. The person who is “it” hid their eyes then counted to 100 while everyone else finds hiding places. If “it” finds and touches you, you lost and became “it.” However, “it” could not “get you” if you ran to “the safe place.” I remember the sheer terror when “it” walked past my hiding place. I never liked someone pursuing me. It was a creeping feeling. I’d hold my breath and try not to make a single peep. “It” wanted nothing more than to get me … I knew it and did everything I could to keep from getting “got.” There are people in real life who think they are “it” and are out “to get you!” They don’t like you, and will do you harm if they get the chance. It may be a jealous co-worker, a hostile ex-spouse or a feuding family member. Where is God when your enemies pursue you? Does He care? Yes! He is your “safe place.” Moses experienced God’s protection. God said: “When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.” (Exodus 33:22) Call on God and let Him “hide your soul in the cleft of the rock.” Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.