Skip to main content

Day 1 - Lord's Day - Sunday - International KJV Sunday school Lesson - (Abridged) - Logos

 July 31

Lesson 9 (KJV)

The Word Gives Peace

Devotional Reading: John 14:15–29

Background Scripture: John 14:15–31

John 14:15–29

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray for the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man loves me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my, Father is more significant than I.

29 And now I have told you before it comes to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Key Text

I will pray for the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever.—John 14:16

Partners in a New Creation

Unit 2: The Word: The Agent of Creation

Lessons 5–9

Lesson Aims

After participating in this lesson, each learner will be able to:

1. Summarize Jesus’ promise regarding the Holy Spirit.

2. Explain the link between the presence of the Holy Spirit and living in obedience to Christ.

3. Write a prayer of thanks to God for the presence of the Holy Spirit in his or her life.

Lesson Outline

Introduction

A. Abandoned!

B. Lesson Context

I. Promise of the Spirit (John 14:15–17)

A. Initial Requirement (v. 15)

B. Firm Promise (vv. 16–17)

In Our Corner

II. Assurance by the Son (John 14:18–24)

A. Presence (v. 18)

B. Life (v. 19)

C. Knowledge (v. 20)

D. Obedience (v. 21)

“If You Really Loved Me, You’d ….”

E. Clarification (vv. 22–24)

III. Purpose of the Spirit (John 14:25–26)

A. Son’s Present Message (v. 25)

B. Spirit’s Future Ministry (v. 26)

IV. Insight of Jesus (John 14:27–29)

A. Peace Bestowed (v. 27)

B. Failure Rebuked (vv. 28–29)

Conclusion

A. Abandoned? Never!

B. Prayer

C. Thought to Remember

HOW TO SAY IT

Judas Iscariot


Joo-dus Iss-care-ee-ut.


Pentecost


Pent-ih-kost.


Thaddaeus


Tha-dee-us.



 

What Do You Think?

Name some of Jesus’ commandments right now. (After all, if we can’t name them, how can we keep them?)

Digging Deeper

What would be a passing score on naming them?




Visual for Lesson 9. Have learners pair up to discuss what reasons they have for confidence that the Spirit is at work in their lives and the church.


What Do You Think?

When in a crisis situation, how do you know when it’s better to voice your concerns and when it’s better to remain quiet?

Digging Deeper

Don’t just answer that with “it depends on the situation.” Dig deeper!



 

What Do You Think?

When is it not wrongly “judgmental” to point out someone’s disobedience to Jesus?

Digging Deeper

Consider Matthew 7:1, 20; Romans 14:4, 10, 13; 1 Corinthians 4:4–5; 5:12–13; James 5:20; etc.



What Do You Think?

How do you know when a promise of Scripture applies to all Christians rather than just to those to whom it was given initially?

Digging Deeper

What Scripture passages support your answer?



What Do You Think?

How do you respond to someone who claims to have had a revelation from the Holy Spirit?

Digging Deeper

When would you cite Scripture passages in your response, and when would you not?



Conclusion

A. Abandoned? Never!

The disciples in the upper room were startled, even frightened, to hear that their shepherd was going to leave them. Their lack of understanding was still evident at the empty tomb (John 20:9) and again at the ascension (Acts 1:6). But was their Lord going to abandon them? Never!

One of the most precious promises in the Bible, stated in both the Old and New Testaments, is God’s promise not to abandon His people (see Joshua 1:5; Hebrews 13:5). Even though we “walk through the valley of the shadow of death,” our shepherd is with us (Psalm 23:4). We are not forsaken.

As we are reminded each Christmas season, one of the names of Jesus is Immanuel, which means “God with us” (Isaiah 7:14; 8:8; Matthew 1:23). That truth becomes real for believers in every generation. Because we have the divine presence of the Holy Spirit, we are never abandoned.

B. Prayer

Father, help us sense the presence of Your Spirit as He dwells within us. May we draw on His strength to show Your Son’s love daily through our obedience. Give us peace in Him. In His name, we pray. Amen.

C. Thought to Remember

We have the promised Spirit of God.

Involvement Learning

Enhance your lesson with KJV Bible Student (from your curriculum supplier) and the reproducible activity page (at www.standardlesson.com or in the back of the KJV Standard Lesson Commentary Deluxe Edition).


 Wood, Andrew, Mark A. Taylor, and Petra L. Miller. “The Word Gives Peace.” The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary, 2021–2022. Ed. Jane Ann Kenney et al. Vol. 69. Colorado Springs, CO: Standard Publishing, 2022. 415–416. Print. The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.