Skip to main content

Fresh Start Devotionals

Details I didn’t know I’d made an irreversible mistake until about 30 minutes before we were supposed to board the plane. I looked down and noticed that I was wearing one black shoe and one brown one and immediately remembered that I didn’t pack a spare pair of shoes in my suitcase. Very early in the morning last Tuesday, I took a quick shower and got dressed in the dark so I wouldn’t wake up Susan. The night before I’d set out the suit, shirt tie and shoes I would wear on the plane and to my first meeting that was scheduled for less than an hour from when I touched down in San Diego. Picking my wardrobe was a simple process of elimination. Because the meeting was in Southern California, I’d ruled out any of my 100% wool suits for the trip and had settled on taking a three button brown linen and wool blend jacket with a pair of worsted wool tan slacks. Initially, I was going to wear a brown silk jacket, but I’d heard the night before that two button jackets were out of style, and since I’d be on stage in front of around 1000 people, I didn’t want to be out of style. After all, I wanted to make the best possible impression. In my suitcase I packed a green suit, because I knew the green would go with the brown shoes I’d be wearing and I could pack lighter and not pack a second pair of shoes if I chose green over black. I’d been rather careful, or so I thought. I called the hotel from the airport and asked them to have a shuttle prepared to take me shopping for shoes immediately when I arrived at the airport. After the nice man on the other end of the phone stopped laughing, he agreed to help. I don’t know about you, but the whole irony of the situation struck me as I waited to board the plane. Here I was careful enough to take a jacket with the right number of buttons, but was so careless that I failed to wear a matching pair of shoes. Sometimes it is easy to be so concerned over little things that really don’t matter that we neglect to exercise care over things that make a difference. Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.