Skip to main content

Amazing Grace : 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions

February 18 HE LIFTED ME Words and Music by Charles H. Gabriel, 1856–1932 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. (Psalm 40:2, 3) O the love that sought me! O the blood that bought me! O the grace that brought me to the fold! Wondrous grace that brought me to the fold! —W. Spencer Walton Occasionally it is good for each of us as Christians to reflect seriously on a question such as this: “Where would I be today if God had not transformed my life, established my ways, and given me a life of joy and praise?” With all of the allurements of sin so rampant in today’s society, we must readily confess that except for the love and grace of God, we too could find ourselves with broken and shameful lives. But we have been accepted into the beloved and made children of the heavenly kingdom. Through the redemptive work of Christ, we have been given a new and higher “plane” on which to live. With the author and composer Charles Gabriel we can only exclaim, “O praise His name, He lifted me!” Such divine love on our behalf calls forth a response of thankful gratitude and a sincere desire to see other needy individuals share this redemptive experience. Charles H. Gabriel was one of the best known and most prolific gospel songwriters of the late 19th and early 20th century eras. His fame as a successful composer became widely known, especially with the use of his songs by Homer Rodeheaver in the large Billy Sunday evangelistic campaigns. “He Lifted Me” first appeared in the collection Revival Hymns, published in 1905. In loving kindness Jesus came my soul in mercy to reclaim, and from the depths of sin and shame thru grace He lifted me. He called me long before I heard, before my sinful heart was stirred, but when I took him at His word, forgiv’n He lifted me. His brow was pierced with many a thorn; His hands by cruel nails were torn when from my guilt and grief, forlorn, in love He lifted me. Now on a higher plain I dwell, and with my soul I know ’tis well; yet how or why, I cannot tell, He should have lifted me. Chorus: From sinking sand He lifted me; with tender hand He lifted me; from shades of night to plains of light, O praise His name, He lifted me! For Today: Psalm 40; Isaiah 61:10; Philippians 3:8; Revelation 1:5 Express gratitude and praise to God for His transforming power and love in your life. Determine to share your testimony with another. Use this musical testimony as a reminder. Kenneth W. Osbeck, Amazing Grace : 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Kregel Publications, 1990). 59.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.