Skip to main content

Amazing Grace : 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions

February 19 WHY SHOULD HE LOVE ME SO? Words and Music by Robert Harkness, 1880–1961 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) In the deepest sense, love is a prerequisite of the whole Christian faith. It begins with God since His basic attribute is love (1 John 4:8). The Father then supplied a model of sacrificial love by providing salvation for man through the atoning work of Christ. Also He gave us the indwelling Holy Spirit so we could respond to Him and seek to imitate His love in service to others. How our society languishes for a living demonstration of God’s love by Christians in every relationship of life! Reflecting seriously on God’s redemptive love in sending His only Son to suffer and die for each of us personally should create within us a deep sense of unworthiness and devotion. Why should the Creator of the universe do all this for me? I was rebellious, a sinner, an enemy of God … yet He pursued and loved me. The amazing thrill of the gospel is that we do not have to become good first in order to be loved by God. We are already loved just as we are. It is impossible to define and describe divine love and the transformation it produces in the life that receives it by faith. But this love can be experienced by anyone who desires it. Author and composer Robert Harkness was an Australian gospel musician who traveled extensively in round-the-world tours as a pianist with some of the leading evangelists of his day. Harkness wrote several hundred gospel songs, which were first featured in these campaigns. He also prepared a correspondence course, “Evangelistic Piano Playing,” that has been widely used through the years. Love sent my Savior to die in my stead; why should He love me so? Meekly to Calvary’s cross He was led; why should He love me so? Nails pierced His hands and His feet for my sin; why should He love me so? He suffered sore my salvation to win; why should He love me so? O how He agonized there in my place; why should He love me so? Nothing withholding my sin to efface; why should He love me so? Chorus: Why should He love me so? Why should He love me so? Why should my Savior to Calvary go? Why should He love me so? For Today: Romans 5:8; 8:35-39; Galatians 5:6; 1 Peter 1:22; 1 John 3:1 Reflect seriously on all that Christ did to provide us with personal salvation and a restored fellowship with Almighty God. In the light of this, consider your own unworthiness. With a grateful response, carry this musical question with you as you go thinking of “why should He love me so?” Kenneth W. Osbeck, Amazing Grace : 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Kregel Publications, 1990). 60.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.