Skip to main content

A Summer Christmas

August 28





A Summer Christmas

My Youth Sunday School teacher would start the Christmas season the same way every year: “This year, we need to learn about the real meaning of Christmas.” She got my attention the first year she said that, but by the third year I said to myself, “Haven’t we already done that.”

It might be impossible to get to the real meaning of Christmas, because we always have Christmas during the Christmas season. Don’t get me wrong; Christmas is a wonderful time of year. The main complaint I have about Christmas is that I’m always too busy with the Christmas season to enjoy Christmas. Whether it is activity at the church or family responsibilities, something usually keeps me busy. I look for Christ in Christmas, but the tree, wrappings and lights block my view.

This year, I’ve decided to have my Christmas before the season. I want to caress the truth that God loved me enough to send His Son to earth to face hardships, temptations, and the cross for me. For me!

For you, too!

And John said, “For God so loved the world that He gave …” For the whole wide world!

The first truth calls me to sacred introspection, and the last truth calls me to action. Since I’m having my Christmas in August this year, I’ve decide to go ahead and start my Christmas shopping for Christ. After all, it is His birthday we’re celebrating.


Jim L. Wilson, Fresh Start Devotionals (Fresno, CA: Willow City Press, 2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.