Skip to main content

I, Paul, A Prisoner of Christ Jesus



I, Paul, A Prisoner of Christ Jesus

Excerpt

‎Prisoner here is meant literally of physical imprisonment, not figuratively of the writer’s complete submission to Christ’s will (see also 4:1 and verse 6:20).

‎It may also be possible to translate the prisoner of Christ Jesus as “a prisoner because of what I have done for the sake of Christ Jesus,” or “I am in prison because I serve Jesus Christ.” There is, however, a problem in some languages in having a kind of triple apposition, namely, I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus. This must be broken up in some languages to read “I, Paul, who am a prisoner for Christ Jesus’ sake.” In order that people may understand that prisoner is not to be taken in a figurative sense, one may translate I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus as “I, Paul, am in prison because of Christ Jesus”.

For the sake of you Gentiles: this is a further reason; Paul is a servant of Christ Jesus working for the good of the Gentiles. So the two phrases might be rendered: “I am a prisoner because as a servant of Christ Jesus I work on your behalf,” or “I am a prisoner because I serve Christ Jesus and work on your behalf”.


Bratcher, Robert G., and Eugene Albert Nida. A Handbook on Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians. New York: United Bible Societies, 1993. Print. UBS Handbook Series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Furnishings of the Tabernacle

Furnishings of the Tabernacle . ‎The book of Exodus details the construction of the tabernacle and its furnishings. As Yahweh’s sanctuary, the tabernacle served as God’s dwelling place among the Israelites—the expression of the covenant between Yahweh and His people ( Exod 25:8–9 ).

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

The Ten Plagues of Egypt

A Threshing Floor

A Threshing Floor In the ancient world, farmers used threshing floors to separate grain from its inedible husk (chaff) by beating it with a flail or walking animals on it—sometimes while towing a threshing sledge. Sledges were fitted with flint teeth to dehusk the grain more quickly. Other workers would turn the grain over so that it would be evenly threshed by the sledge.