Lord's Day - International; KJV Sunday School Lesson, Outline for Students and Teachers

December 15
Lesson 3 (KJV)
David’s House
Devotional Reading: Psalm 138
Background Scripture: 2 Samuel 7:1–17; 24:18–25; 1 Chronicles 17:1–15; 21:18–30
1 Chronicles 17:1, 3, 4, 11–14
1 Now it came to pass, as David sat in his house, that David said to Nathan the prophet, Lo, I dwell in [a] house of cedars, but the ark of the covenant of the Lord remaineth under curtains.
3 And it came to pass the same night, that the word of God came to Nathan, saying,
4 Go and tell David my servant, Thus saith the Lord, Thou shalt not build me [a] house to dwell in.
11 And it shall come to pass when thy days be expired that thou must go to be with thy fathers, that I will raise up thy seed after thee, which shall be of thy sons; and I will establish his kingdom.
12 He shall build me [a] house, and I will [establish] his throne [forever].
13 I will be his father, and he shall be my son: and I will not take my mercy away from him, as I took it from him that was before thee:
14 But I will settle him in mine house and in my kingdom [forevermore]: and his throne shall be established [forevermore].
1 Chronicles 21:18, 21–27
18 Then the angel of the Lord commanded Gad to say to David, that David should go up and set up an altar unto the Lord in the [threshing-floor] of Ornan the Jebusite.
21 And as David came to Ornan, Ornan looked and saw David, and went out of the [threshing-floor], and bowed himself to David with his face to the ground.
22 Then David said to Ornan, Grant me the place of this [threshing-floor], that I may build an altar therein unto the Lord: thou shalt grant it [to] me for the full price: that the plague may [have] stayed from the people.
23 And Ornan said unto David, Take it to thee, and let my lord the king do that which is good in his eyes: lo, I give thee the oxen also for burnt offerings, and the threshing instruments for wood, and the wheat for the meat offering; I give it all.
24 And king David said to Ornan, Nay; but I will verily buy it for the full price: for I will not take that which is thine for the Lord, nor offer burnt offerings without cost.
25 So David gave to Ornan for the place six hundred shekels of gold by weight.
26 And David built there an altar unto the Lord, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the Lord, and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.
27 And the Lord commanded the angel, and he put up his sword again into the sheath thereof.
Key Verses
It shall come to pass when thy days be expired that thou must go to be with thy fathers, that I will raise up thy seed after thee, which shall be of thy sons; and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build me [a] house, and I will [establish] his throne [forevermore].1 Chronicles 17:11, 12
Honoring God
Unit 1: David Honors God
Lessons 1–5
Lesson Aims
After participating in this lesson, each learner will be able to:
1. Summarize David’s intention, God’s response, and David’s reaction regarding [the] construction of a house (temple) for God.
2. Explain why David refused to offer sacrifices that cost him nothing.
3. Prepare a testimony of a time when he or she expected to serve God in a certain way but found the plans redirected by Him.
Lesson Outline
Introduction
A. Doors, Windows, and Houses
B. Lesson Context
I. Building a House (1 Chronicles 17:1, 3, 4, 11–14)
A. A Realization (v. 1)
B. A Word (vv. 3, 4)
C. The Plan (vv. 11–14)
Unfulfilled Dream
II. Providing a Site (1 Chronicles 21:18, 21–27)
A. A Command (v. 18)
B. A Negotiation (vv. 21–25)
Price of Doing Business
C. An Altar (vv. 26, 27)
Conclusion
A. Looking Ahead
B. Prayer
C. Thought to Remember
HOW TO SAY IT
Gad

Gad (a as in bad).

Jebusites

Jeb-yuh-sites.

Joab

Jo-ab.

Ornan

Or-nan.


What Do You Think?
What habits can you cultivate to help you remain faithful when your prayers result in answers that are not what you hope for?
Digging Deeper
In what ways can or should 2 Corinthians 12:8, 9 help frame your response?


What Do You Think?
What are some ways to encourage a believer who feels that God is taking a long time to acknowledge his or her prayers?
Digging Deeper
Under what circumstances would [be] pointing out passages such as Job 35:12, 13; Lamentations 3:8, 44; Ezekiel 8:18; Romans 8:28; and/or James 4:3 be appropriate and inappropriate? Why?



What Do You Think?
What procedure can we adopt to discern that a person’s counsel to us represents God’s will?
Digging Deeper
What would make you suspect that a person’s well-intentioned counsel is not truly from God? How does 2 Samuel 7:3–5 help frame your response?


What Do You Think?
How visible should be our refusals to use power or privilege to personal advantage, considering the tension between Matthew 5:14–16 and 6:1–4?
Digging Deeper
Consider the relevance, or lack thereof, of John 7:4, 10; 13:15; and Titus 2:7, 8.


What Do You Think?
How will you know when your personal giving moves from costing you little or nothing to being truly sacrificial?
Digging Deeper
Of Mark 12:41–44; 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 8:1–15; 9:6–9, which most speaks to your heart in this regard? Why?



 Redford, Douglas, Jim Eichenberger, and Tom Thatcher. “David’s House.” The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary, 2019–2020. Ed. Ronald L. Nickelson et al. Vol. 67. Colorado Springs, CO: Standard Publishing, 2019–2020. 142. Print.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Threshing Floor

Furnishings of the Tabernacle