Lord's Day - Sunday - International KJV Sunday school Lesson - Outline for Teacher's and Students
November 8
Lesson 10 (KJV)
Abiding Love
Devotional Reading: Psalm 80:7–19
Background Scripture: John 15:4–17
John 15:4–17
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.
17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
Key Verse
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.—John 15:5
Love for One Another
Unit 3: Godly Love Among Believers
Lessons 9–13
Lesson Aims
After participating in this lesson, each learner will be able to:
1. Define how the vine/branches metaphor describes our relationship with Christ.
2. Connect love and obedience as complementary elements in the Christian life.
3. Identify ways to abide in Christ more faithfully.
Lesson Outline
Introduction
A. Wired for Relationship
B. Lesson Context
I. The Vine and the Branches (John 15:4–8)
A. Connected and Fruitful (vv. 4–5)
Grounded in Prayer
B. Severed or Withered (vv. 6–8)
II. The Lord and His Friends (John 15:9–17)
A. Loving, Joyful Obedience (vv. 9–11)
B. Great, Sacrificial Love (vv. 12–14)
C. Chosen Messengers (vv. 15–17)
Jesus Is a True Friend
Conclusion
A. Unselfish Love
B. Prayer
C. Thought to Remember
HOW TO SAY IT
|
Galilee |
Gal-uh-lee. |
|
Judas |
Joo-dus. |
|
Judea |
Joo-dee-uh. |
|
Samaria |
Suh-mare-ee-uh. |
|
What Do You Think? What one extra practice can you adopt to strengthen your connection to the vine? Digging Deeper How would you answer this question regarding “philosophy and vain deceit” (Colossians 2:8) you should confront? |
|
What Do You Think? What false vine have you seen as most dangerous in drawing people away from Christ? Digging Deeper Which false vine is seen in Matthew 7:15; 2 Corinthians 11:12–14, 26; Galatians 2:4; 2 Peter 2:1–3; and 1 John 4:1–3 most threatens to sever you from the true vine? How will you resist? |
|
What Do You Think? In which area of discipleship are Christians weaker: their way of thinking or their way of living? Why? Digging Deeper Considering passages such as Titus 2:11 and Jude 3, what guardrails can Christians erect to avoid rationalizing in either area? |
|
What Do You Think? What guardrails or spiritual disciplines can you put in place to ensure that your keeping of Jesus’ commandments does not result in pride or a sense of entitlement? Digging Deeper Going the other way, what kinds of guardrails probably won’t work? Why? |
|
What Do You Think? What would have to change, if anything, for you to be convinced that Jesus considers you a “friend” instead of a “servant”? Digging Deeper How do Exodus 33:11; Isaiah 41:8; John 11:11; and James 2:23 help you answer this? |
Conclusion
A. Unselfish Love
Abiding, obeying, and loving—these are the central elements of discipleship. The love of Jesus exemplifies all of these. He abides with the Father in a relationship so intimate, it is beyond our understanding. He always obeys the Father. And His great love for the Father overflows to His chosen disciples.
In this, we understand what biblical love is all about. It is conditioned by a lasting, faithful relationship and expressed by obedience. It is unselfish love given without condition or expectation of return. In the Gospel of John, the last supper finds Jesus teaching about these things. The arrest, trials, and crucifixion find Him acting out these things. The resurrection shows the Father approving of these things for Jesus: His teachings and His actions. Thereby the disciples of Jesus have been motivated ever since to follow Him unselfishly to be obedient disciples themselves and produce new disciples in every generation.
B. Prayer
Father, may we show our love for You by obeying Your commands. Nurture us, so we bear the fruit. You want to see in our lives. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
C. Thought to Remember
When we love, we obey.
Krause, Mark S., Lee Hall-Perkins, et al. “Abiding Love.” The KJV Standard Lesson Commentary, 2020–2021. Ed. Ronald L. Nickelson, Jane Ann Kenney, and Margaret K. Williams. Vol. 68. Colorado Springs, CO: Standard Publishing, 2020. 87. Print.
Comments